Saturday, January 05, 2008

2007 - Looking Back At A Sea Change

Dover Clip Art, where would I be without you?
This blog is mostly about the playlists from the Abstract Index radio show. But as with all blogs, there's more to be found behind the scenes... the scene being my unshaven, pyjama'd self at the keyboard.

2007 was a momentous year for me and my family. I began the year as I had for the previous seven, ensconced behind a desk, doing my do at a non music-related full time job. By the end of the year, I'd left it behind (thanks in no small part to the invaluable support of my wife) to work on music full time.

I still don't consider myself to be the greatest writer out there, and while I've got my own identity as a DJ/radio programmer, there are lots of folks out there who are more polished than I. But over the years, thanks to all my musical pursuits, I've come to realize that the study and enjoyment of music is a passion that merits my full time attention.

As expected, it's not a lucrative career move, but I feel blessed to have the opportunity to advocate my ideals. It is a privelege to be able to explore and participate in cross-cultural interchanges in music, and to strive for more inclusive environments in which to foster these exchanges. These explorations have wider implications, I hope, for how we all relate to one another in our lives. I look forward to getting my ass kicked on the regular in '08 by those who have different viewpoints so that I might learn more about myself and the world. I strive to be humble, but at the same time not to be shy about expressing myself to the fullest.

This is one of the happiest times of my life, and I appreciate all the kind words and inspiration given to me by callers to my radio show, commentators on the blog, peers, family and friends. I'm now entering my 22nd year of public musical activity, and I would not be doing this if it weren't for your support.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home