Monday, May 05, 2008

Jim Shady

I kid you not, Jamie Lidell referred to himself as "Jim Shady" druing my interview with him. I promised to put that nickname it in the writeup I did for AOL Canada, but alas, I couldn't do it.

His new disc, Jim, isn't as wild and wacky as his previous one, but I still like it a lot. It's short (<40 minutes), sweet and soulful without sounding too retro.

Mr. Lidell would be someone I'd love to have a pint with. We'd probably have lots more to talk about since he works with so many Canadians (co-producer Mocky, pianist Gonzales and Peaches are all represented on the new disc).

He's touring with a band that includes a sax player (and sometime Anthony Braxton sideman) named Andre Vida who plays two horns at the same time, a la Roland Kirk. Jamie turns out to be a huge fan of Rahsaan as well; I think this bodes well for another round of exciting shows for which Lidell is renowned.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home