Saturday, November 27, 2010

December Interviews

I know I said that I was going to cut down on interviews, but interesting people just keep finding me. The next three weeks will feature some excellent conversation.

First up, on December 2 I'll be speaking with Kat Cizek, director of the NFB Interactive project, Out My Window. Here's the NFB blurb:

Out My Window is one of the world’s first interactive 360º documentaries. Delivered entirely on the web, it explores the state of our urban planet told by people who look out on the world from highrise windows.

It’s a journey around the globe through the most commonly built form of the last century: the concrete-slab residential tower. Meet remarkable highrise residents who harness the human spirit — and the power of community — to resurrect meaning amid the ruins of modernism.
With more than 90 minutes of material to explore, Out My Window features 49 stories from 13 cities, told in 13 languages, accompanied by a leading-edge music playlist.

It's this last part that makes the topic particularly intriguing for further exploration on a music show. Cizek has developed interesting views on community-building which should be very relevant for community radio.




On December 9, I'll be airing my interview with the one and only David "Ram Jam" Rodigan. He remains the number one roots reggae DJ in the world, the John Peel of reggae in Britain and the master of an untold number of exclusive dubplates. He turns 60 next year but shows no signs of slowing down.










Finally, on December 16, I'm joined by Badal Roy. The first jazz tabla player, he was an essential part of Miles Davis' On The Corner, and played with a bewildering array of jazz greats including Ornette Coleman (for 12 years!) Pharoah Sanders, John McLaughlin, Herbie Hancock, Herbie Mann, Pat Metheny, Lester Bowie, Airto Moreira, and Charlie Haden. He was a lot of fun to talk to, and has great stories about On The Corner.

All interviews take place at 11PM.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home